Sunday, February 21, 2016

Adolescents Literacy in the Era of the Common Core

This reading is a good insight into the changes being made in the curriculum. Me being a product of the factory styled classroom it is exciting to hear changes being made to the curriculum. I liked hearing about discussions being an important part of the classroom. This is something important in the Trinity curriculum, and I really enjoy having class discussions. I wish discussions were a bigger part in my high school because they enrich the material and help develop students social skills. The reading gave a more general look of how things are changing in the classroom. As someone that wants to be a math teacher, I'd like to learn more about the specific changes that are occurring in math classes.  

3 comments:

  1. I agree that it would be interesting to see how some of these core concepts are implemented in classes where we don't typically think of writing being as emphasized as in other humanity classes--what does this look like in a math or physics class? I think the skills they mentioned are crucial for every field and college/life preparation, so it's great that they are making changes and employing this as the new standard. It's hard to change the factory style model, but I think once we start seeing the products of this type of more creative, active, collaborative education, people will be more receptive to change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely like the idea that writing and communication skills should be viewed as a shared responsibility between all content areas; The ability to communicate clearly and effectively is a paramount skill in almost every professional occupation, and so teachers need to consciously work to foster those skills, no matter what the content area. Furthermore, I think this ties well into the greater point that there are general academic skills that need to be shouldered equally between all courses. The six shifts emphasized by the common core standards are a step in the right direction in regards to articulating these responsibilities, but I do see how some of these shifts could be difficult to incorporate into subjects like math and science, especially shifts like incorporating text based questions into the curriculum

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on this onem Josh. The discussion skill is among my favorite. I think discussion is one of the primary ways that stduents figure out what they know and what they believe. It is sad to see classrooms where students talk very little. So I was super excited to see the authorss talk about discussion that are "teacher-led, student-led, pairs, small geroups, and with 'diverse partners'". Middle and high school students love to talk, so channeling it and giving it a process could be a powerful learning tool.

    ReplyDelete