Saturday, February 27, 2016

Adolescent Literacy in the Era of the Common Core

As someone who wants to teach a science class, I found this reading really interesting. I definitely think there is value in more cross-class collaboration (I did come to a Liberal Arts school after all). I found myself thinking of ways I could implement the six shifts in a biology class. Oftentimes, especially in high school, biology tests and quizzes are multiple choice, which makes sense when there's either a right or wrong answer and there is no work to show. However, there are a lot of opportunities for short-answer or essay questions. Many of the things and process taught in high school level biology can be complex and in depth. I can imagine ways to incorporate more writing and specifically the six shifts this chapter talks about in my future class- and I can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. Yes! So exciting to think about. I also think there is room for written refelction in most disciplines. Reflection is where learning is often solidified (it gives us time to process). So don't forget to add that to your list.

    ReplyDelete