Saturday, February 20, 2016

"Adolescent Literacy in the Era of the Common Core" Response

Before this class, I knew very little about Common Core, and before reading this article I knew even less. I was surprised that the literacy standards applied to all subject areas. Of course, literacy is a part of all aspects of life, much less all subject areas. I'm sure as an English major and a prospective English teacher I believe that more than most. But after reviewing the TEKS I was surprised at the cohesion across subject area. These standards will allow students to practice their reading, writing, and presentation skills in a variety of contexts, which is quite similar to the demands of the life after high school. In order for our students to succeed in whatever field they choose they must become literate in a variety of ways, including digital literacy. The most effective ways to accomplish this is to provide, as the article mentions, explicit and student-centered reading/writing/presentation practice. The process should be challenging yet individualized, and enrich the content of the course.

Although I think these literacy standards are a great foundation for each course in secondary education to build from, the article makes a good observation that for some courses these standards are more challenging than others. This is where the advice of the previous articles we've read could come in handy. For those teachers less prepared to teach literacy they can collaborate with ELA teachers for ideas and practice.

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you from the point you made about not realizing how literacy is not only something important in the English sections. The cohesion in TEKS surprised me as well and honestly made me smile regarding my love for reading and writing. I also found digital literacy to be an important aspect to current students today. This area is becoming increasingly more popular, especially programs such as code academy. Literacy standards are super important but I also agree that these standards might be more challenging for certain students and this is where focusing on the individual becomes important. Great observations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about digital literacy. I think it would be interesting for us to think about how we can creatively incorporate digital literacy into our English classrooms. I've always found coding to be a good parallel to English because it's based so much on form and rules, like sentence structure and grammar are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It makes my heart happy to hear what you two are learning from investigating the ELA TEKS! And I am excited to see how your thinking around literacy is taking shape and helping you think outside the box!

    ReplyDelete